Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Shard Nineteen - There Will Be Cake

Okay, perhaps a bit of trivial information for you all; Portal is my "favorite game that I've never played". Or it was, at the very least. Just tonight, I bought the game (bought "The Orange Box" actually, which contains Portal, as well as a few other games). Just a few minutes ago, I beat Portal. And I've gotta say, this completely changes my feelings about the game, now that I've played it...

...because now I can't call it my "favorite game that I've never played". Now I have to simply call it my favorite game.

The game is amazing. The puzzles are great and all, but it's the "story" that keeps you playing. Without the dialogue from GLaDOS, it's a great puzzle game, and certainly an addictive one.
But with that dialogue... and especially the ending? It's one of the best, albeit also one of the shortest, games I've ever played. I won't spoil anything here for anyone, but the dry humor in the game is among the most brilliant things I've heard in a long time. massive kudos to Valve for creating the game. The writing is great, and to be honest, the portal gun lets me live out fantasies I've had since I was a little kid.

"The Enrichment Center promises to always provide a safe testing environment. In dangerous testing environments, the Enrichment Center promises to always provide useful advice. For instance, the floor here will kill you. Try to avoid it."

And now it's time for bed. I'm not sure how long it took, but I beat Portal in a single sitting; I think it was about an hour. or two.
Possibly three.

<<><>>-------------------------------------------<<><>

...Oh, and a final aside; if anyone out there has a Steam account, add me. I'll happily join you for some CounterStrike, Team Fortress 2, or Half-Life2: Deathmatch. My username's "jioruji_derako".

<<><>>---------------<<>>

ĜЄΘ.>

1 comment:

tsukijin said...

the floor here will kill you. haha one of my favorite lines.

but you know, Portal was actually made by a group of college students, Valve just happened to run into them on a game expo type thing. and they saw how awesome the concept they were working on was and decided to hire them to make the Portal game.

talk about sweet, sweet talent just popping out of nowhere. but yeh, Portal is definitely one of the best games I've played... even if it is rather short.